In this complete guide, you will know some tips and everything you should do before putting your Nintendo Switch on sale.
The Nintendo Switch console revolutionized the video game market since its launch in March 2017. And it did so by being a hybrid console, with a striking and functional design that serves for entertainment and with which it is possible to play anywhere. This without counting its versatility and the number of games it allows to explore.
If you already have your Nintendo Switch, you know what we are talking about. If you are considering selling it either because you want to buy another console, because you need an extra or because you want to give it a second life, in this guide, we will give you all the tips you should know before selling your Nintendo Switch.
How to prepare your Nintendo Switch before selling it?
In this step, the objective is to make sure that your data is ready to be synchronized with a new Nintendo Switch system (if you are going to acquire another console) while removing all your data and information from the Nintendo Switch that you are going to sell.
Make a copy of your saved data
With Nintendo Switch’s online membership function of saving copies of data in the cloud, you can ensure that all compatible game data is saved.
To see which games have a copy you must follow this route: Console configuration – Data management – Data copy in the cloud. There you will see your list of games with a copy by name. Please note that not all games offer this option.
Once you confirm that all your games have their copy saved, you can do one of two things: perform a system-to-system transfer if you already have your next console, or set up the new system and connect your Nintendo account.
- System-to-system transfer: in System Settings, go to the Users option. Then, choose the option Transfer your username and save data. You will need to follow the on-screen instructions for each Nintendo Switch to complete the transfer.
When you’re done, you can go to the Nintendo Store to redownload your games or digital content. You can sync your saved data like this: download the game, press the + button and sync the data with the copy you saved in the cloud.
Once you are sure that your account has a copy, you can proceed to erase the data from the Nintendo Switch system.
Format your Nintendo Switch
Before explaining how to format your Nintendo Switch, it is important that you know exactly what information you are going to lose:
- All data stored in the console’s memory will be erased, including programs, save data, screenshots, and user information. What the formatting does is restore the factory settings.
- The programs saved on the microSD card cannot be used, except for the screenshots. Please note that the data that is stored on the microSD card will not be deleted.
- Accounts linked to Nintendo as the console will not be erased but will be unlinked. Remember that your Nintendo Account contains all your purchase history and Nintendo eShop funds, so when you link your account to another console you can re-download all the programs or content associated with the account.
Once you have all this clear, you can format your console by following these steps:
- Select “Console Settings” from the HOME Menu.
- Scroll down and select ” Console”.
- Scroll to the bottom of the menu and select ” Formatting Options.” If there is a parental control password set up on the console, you will need to enter it to continue.
- Select ” Restart Console ” to remove all data from console memory.
- Read the information that appears on the screen and then select ” Next ” to continue.
- Select “Restart” to complete the process.
You can see how this process works in the following official video from Nintendo:
Cleaning and presentation
Clean your console, check that everything works correctly and check the accessories. A good presentation is essential in the sales process, after all, nobody wants to buy a Nintendo Switch in bad condition.
Taking some good photos of your Nintendo Switch, in which you can see its condition, will surely help you with the sale. We recommend that you take photos with the box and the accessories that you are going to include.
Prepare a striking description of your Nintendo Switch explaining its model, features and capacity. You must also indicate the state in which it is.
Considerations before putting it up for sale
Once you have your Nintendo Switch ready, it is time for you to take into account the following aspects before putting it on sale:
Choose the ideal moment
You can take advantage of certain special dates and seasons to offer your Nintendo Switch and increase the chances of selling it in less time. For example, you can offer it during Children’s Day, Father’s Day, holidays or Christmas.
We recommend avoiding the first 3 months of the year since at this time, in general, we are recovering from Christmas.
What is the fair price?
Nintendo Switch is a very popular console for its design and features that allow you to play anywhere and connect it to different devices such as television and computer.
All this you must take into account when setting the price for which you want to sell your console. We recommend doing market research comparing various marketplaces, so you can set a reasonable price and it will be easier to sell it.
Where do I sell it? To a private individual or to a store?
This decision will depend on your priorities and needs, but each option has its pros and cons. Normally, we think that by selling to an individual we can get a few extra euros, but is it worth it? Keep in mind that you will be the one who must be answering the calls, messages and constant haggling, and even manage their shipment and possible claims from potential buyers.
Therefore, the most attractive option is to sell this type of device in specialized stores, as it facilitates the sales process for you, obtaining the money quickly and safely, without the need to invest time in contacting and meeting with those interested in your product.