Visitor Visa for USA


Visiting friends and family in the US? Looking to travel for tourism or medical purposes? The US B2 visa is ideal for short term travellers visiting the US for non-business purposes.

Business or Tourism Visitor Visa to the US

The US offers different types of short visit visas for – business travelers, tourists, and future spouses.

Those planning a short visit to the Visitor Visa for USA – for business or tourism – might be required to get a US visitor or transit visa.

The US visa to be applied for will be as per the purpose of visiting the US.

B-1 For business travelers, to –

·       Attend a conference,

·       Consult with business associates,

·       Negotiate a contract, or

·       Settle an estate.

B-2 For tourists on vacation and people coming to the US for participating in amateur contests or social events, or for taking medical treatment.
Transit C For foreign nationals travelling through the US to another destination, stopping for a short time in the US while on their onward journey.
Transit C-1, D, and C-1/D For crewmembers of international airlines or crewmembers of sea vessels traveling to the US.

If an individual is engaged to a US citizen and planning to marry and live in the US, their fiancé(e) might be able to petition for a US K-1 visa on their behalf. The K-1 visa allows the visa holder to travel to the US to marry their fiancé(e) within 90 days of arriving. After marriage, they might apply for an adjustment of status to get US Green Card.

Y-Axis has helped thousands of people successfully apply for visas across the World. Our in-depth knowledge of the US visa process makes us the best option for you to file your US B2 visa application.

The B-2 visa is a non-immigrant US visa. The visa gives permission to individuals to enter the US for a short period either for tourism, recreation or for family visits.

B-visa holders can engage in the following activities when they are in the US:

  • Come to the country on a holiday
  • Visit the various cities in the country
  • Visit their friends or family
  • Take part in social events conducted by organizations
  • Visit the country for medical treatment
  • Participate in sports or music events
  • Participate in short term courses

The US B2 visa is the best way for short term visitors to visit the US. It is typically issued for a period of 6 months. In some cases, it is issued as a multiple entry visa for a period of up to 10 years. Key details of the B2 visa are:

  • You must be able to persuade US consular officials at a US Embassy/Consulate that they are not visiting the country with an intention to become an immigrant of that country
  • You must show reasons and evidence that you would definitely return to your home country
  • You must book appointments for giving your biometrics (finger scan) and visa interview
  • Children below 14 years and adults above 80 years are not required to visit the Consulate/Embassy for an interview and can submit the documents at the visa application centre
  • People who already had a US Visit Visa and now applying for renewal can get the visa renewed by booking the visa appointment at visa application centre and submitting the documents in person

Typically the Business Visa for US is processed within 2-3 days and your passport can either be collected from the VAC centre or couriered to you.


The documentation required for the B2 visa includes:

  • Your passport
  • Proof of funds
  • Letters supporting your reason of visiting the US
  • Adequate insurance coverage
  • Details of who you are staying with and where
  • Air tickets
  • Evidence that you will return to your home country
  • Financial documents
  • Insurance and other supporting documents
  1. Submit the Form DS-160
  2. Pay the visa fees
  3. Schedule the tourist visa interview at the US embassy or consulate
  4. Complete the B-2 visa document file
  5. Attend the visa interview

If you have applied for the US tourist visa, you will be required to attend a visa interview where you will be asked questions about the purpose of your trip and your travel plans.

Preparing for the visa interview

  1. Schedule an appointment for your visa interview in the country where you reside: While your interview may be scheduled at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate, it may be more difficult to obtain a visa outside the country where you live permanently.) Search for your country of residence at to find the nearest embassy or consulate — and its contact details.
  2. Check on the wait time: Understand that wait times differ according to the venue, visa category and even season, which is why applying early is crucial.
  3. Pay the visa application fee which is non-refundable
  4. Gather the required documents: These include:
  • Passport valid 6 months after your scheduled departure from the US
  • Type DS-160 confirmation page for non-immigrant visa application
  • Receipt of Transaction Fee
  • One printed photo that satisfies visitor visa requirements
  1. Prepare for the interview by rehearsing answers for frequently asked questions

Visa interviews are generally required of travelers between the ages of 14-79, Typically, interviews are not required of applicants 13 years of age and younger or 80 years of age and older—through consular officers can choose to interview any visa applicant, regardless of age.


You might be traveling to a destination but have to necessarily stop for a layover within the United States. This means that you will have to transit through the US. For this you will need the C1 visa or the Transit Visa for USA.

A US Transit Visa gives you permission to enter the US and stay for a layover. When your planned flight or ship leaves for your next destination, you will have to leave the US.

The US government issues C1 visas for immediate and continuous transit through the country. This means that if travel to your final destination requires a layover in the US and you will be allowed to stop in the US but will have no other privileges.

The Transit visa allows you to stay in the US only for the approved time because this is not a visa for tourism or business.

Typically, the visa is processed within 5 days. Processing times for any US visa depends on the workload of the US Embassy from where you are applying. If there are more applications, it will take a longer time. Since the C1 visa has a shorter duration, its processing time will be faster compared to other visas.

Documents Required For US C1 Transit Visa

  • Completed DS-160 application form.
  • Your passport with at least one blank page to be able to affix visa.
  • One photograph fulfilling the requirements set by the US authorities.
  • Proof of having paid transit visa fees.
  • Social media details.
  • Proof that you are allowed to enter the country of your final destination.
  • Ticket or itinerary to your final destination.
  • Letter stating the purpose of your visit to your final destination.
  • Proof of having funds to cover your expenses during your transit.
  • Proof that you will return to your home or another country after your stay in the US.
  • Proof of medical health insurance.
  1. Submit the Form DS-160
  2. Pay the visa fees
  3. Schedule the transit visa interview at the US embassy or consulate
  4. Submit the required documents
  5. Attend the visa interview

What Are the Restrictions of the C1 Visa?

Since the C1 visa does not allow you to stay in the US, there are several restrictions which you will have to follow with the C1 visa, you cannot:

  • Stay in the US for more than the designated time.
  • Travel or study in the US.
  • Find employment in the US.
  • Extend the C1 visa.
  • Adjust or change the status of the C1 visa.
  • Apply for a Green Card with a C1 visa.
  • Bring dependents with only one transit visa.
  • Dependents cannot travel, work, or study in the US on the C1 visa

How Long Can I Stay in the US with a C1 Visa?

Since transiting is for aa short duration, the validity of the C1 visa is short.  The visa is valid for a period of a maximum of 29 days or until the date of departure from the US on your ticket, whichever is earlier.


D visa or Crewmember visa is one of the non-immigrant visas issued by the U.S government. This visa is specifically for those people who work on commercial sea vessels or international airlines that go through the U.S. For these sea vessels and airlines to run normal operations, their crew must be allowed to pass through the U.S and make short stops.

With the D visa, the crew members can go through to the U.S and stay in the country for a maximum of 29 days.

The D visa allows the crews to go through the U.S and stay for a maximum of 29 days. Holders of the D visa can leave the dock or airport for this duration but must also leave the country within 29 days. The D visa can only be used for the purpose of passing through the U.S.

The visa processing time can vary between 3 to 5 days or even up to 2 weeks. Processing times for any U.S visa depends on the workload of the U.S Embassy from where you are applying. If there are more applications, it will take a longer time.

Requirements to get the D visa

To get the D visa, the person must be working on a vessel or airline travelling to the U.S and only passing through. The following job positions qualify for a D visa:

  • Flight attendant or pilot on a commercial airplane
  • Captain, deckhand, or engineer on a sea vessel
  • Lifeguard, waiter, cook, or other supporting staff on cruise ships
  • Trainee on board of a training vessel

Individuals who perform the following duties cannot apply for a D visa:

  • Dry dock duties such as repairs while the boat is docked on a U.S port
  • Occupants of a fishing vessel which has an operating base or home port in the U.S
  • Substitute coasting officer
  • Workers on a private yacht which will be docked in the U.S for more than 29 days
  • Crewmembers on a vessel going to the Outer Continental Shelf

Documents required for U.S D visa

  • Completed DS-160 application form.
  • Your passport with at least one blank page to be able to affix visa.
  • One photograph fulfilling the requirements set by the U.S authorities.
  • Proof of having paid transit visa fees.
  • Interview confirmation page and its copy
  • Letter describing the purpose of your trip from your company or employer
  • Proof of ties to your home country such as family documents, job contract, lease, or property deed, which prove you do not intend to stay in the U.S for more than 29 days
  • Letter from your employer with these details:
    • Name of the vessel
    • Period of time you will be in the U.S.
    • Date and port of entry
    • Date and port of exit
    • Your job position with description of duties
    • Your salary while in the U.S.
  • Copies of employer work records from your employer
  • The Continuous Discharge Certificate (CDC)
  • Travel authorization from your company
  • Certificates and diplomas verifying your qualifications;
  • Criminal records or letter from authorities stating that you do not have prior convictions

Related Posts